ISSN 1016-5169 | E-ISSN 1308-4488
Archives of the Turkish Society of Cardiology
Surgical Treatment of Type A Aortic Dissection: Early-Term Results [Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars]
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars. 2000; 28(10): 622-629

Surgical Treatment of Type A Aortic Dissection: Early-Term Results

Murat Bülent RABUŞ1, Kaan KIRALİ1, Mustafa GÜLER1, Suat Nail ÖMEROĞLU1, Denyan MANSUROĞLU1, Ercan EREN1, Bahadır DAĞLAR1, Mehmet BALKANAY1, Esat AKINCI1, Gökhan İpek1, Ali Gürbüz1, Turan BERKİ1, Ömer IŞIK1, Cevat YAKUT1

Despite medical and technological improvement, acute type A aortic dissection is still a serious pathology, which causes death with any delay in early diagnosis. The aim of this study was to determine the early results of the surgical treatment of Stanford type A aortic dissection. 318 patients underwent surgical repair for intrathoracic aneurysm and/or dissection at Koşuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, between February 1985 and January 1999. Forty-eight (15.1%) of them were operated on for acute type A aortic dissection among whom 40 (83%) were male and 8 (17%) female with a mean age 49.9±11.1 years (range, 21 to 70). Only replacement of the ascending aorta (Group I) was performed at 24 (50%) patients and associated arch replacement (Group II) was performed at the other 24 (50%) patients. Aortic valve was preserved (Group A) in 35 (73%) patients and was replaced (Group B) in 13 (27%) patients. Surviving patients were followed up for 2.67±1.95 years (between 1 and 8). Early mortality was 22.9% (11 patients) and late mortality 4.2% (2 patients), total mortality rate being 27.1%. Univariate analysis showed that preoperative hemodynamic instability, coronary artery disease, extracorporeal circulation, renal complications, major neurologic and cardiac complications were statistically significant risk factors for early mortality. Forward stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that age, previous cardiac operation, extracorporeal circulation, renal and cardiac complications increased early mortality. There was no difference between groups for survival. Renal dysfunction, neurologic complications and rhythm problems were common morbidities. In Group A, aortic insufficiency regressed significantly after surgery (p<0.001). Surviving 31 patients had functional capacity in NYHA class I, and 4 had functional capacity in NYHA class II. Early surgical intervention for acute type A dissection decreases mortality rate because of the nature of the disease. It is important to determine predictors for early mortality. Sparing the aortic valve must be the first choice in all situations if possible. Flanged composite graft can be chosen when aortic root is included. TEE and CT must be performed annually for early diagnosis of late complications during follow-up.

Keywords: Type A aortic dissection, flanged, arcus aorta, button technique

How to cite this article
Murat Bülent RABUŞ, Kaan KIRALİ, Mustafa GÜLER, Suat Nail ÖMEROĞLU, Denyan MANSUROĞLU, Ercan EREN, Bahadır DAĞLAR, Mehmet BALKANAY, Esat AKINCI, Gökhan İpek, Ali Gürbüz, Turan BERKİ, Ömer IŞIK, Cevat YAKUT. Surgical Treatment of Type A Aortic Dissection: Early-Term Results. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars. 2000; 28(10): 622-629
Manuscript Language: Turkish

Journal Metrics

Journal Citation Indicator: 0.18
CiteScore: 1.1
Source Normalized Impact
per Paper:
SCImago Journal Rank: 0.348

Quick Search

Copyright © 2024 Archives of the Turkish Society of Cardiology

Kare Publishing is a subsidiary of Kare Media.